FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Smile Squared donates 10,000 toothbrushes to six nonprofits
ST. LOUIS, July 7, 2015 — Smile Squared is pleased to announce its latest round of toothbrush donations, which will be distributed to children in need in Texas, Zambia, Haiti, Belize, Uganda and other locations domestically and abroad through six nonprofit organizations.
Smile Squared, a St. Louis-based social enterprise, donated 10,000 toothbrushes to African Vision of Hope, Circle of Friends in Action, Feed the Children, The Haiti Orphan Project, North Belize Medical Mission and Smile Train. The company’s buy-one, give-one toothbrushes are sold online and at retailers nationwide.
“Smile Squared is thrilled to have our toothbrushes reach children in need throughout the world,” said Eric Cope, the company’s founder and president. “We couldn’t do this work without our loyal customers who support our mission and nonprofits distributing our toothbrushes.
“We are so thankful for our network of nonprofit partners. They are doing great good in the world, and we are honored to play a small part in that work.”
Smile Squared has donated more than 125,000 toothbrushes to underprivileged children since its founding in 2011. These donations provide children with access to improved dental health and quality of life.
Many Americans take dental care and access to toothbrushes for granted. But in many impoverished communities, children do not own toothbrushes or they must share them with other family members. In some developing nations, up to 90 percent of cavities go untreated, interfering with a child’s ability to sleep, eat, play and smile.
In donating toothbrushes, Smile Squared aims to help children in need have healthy teeth and gums.
The following organizations will distribute Smile Squared toothbrushes:
- African Vision of Hope in Maryville, Ill., transforms communities through education and distribution of resources. Its services minister to impoverished children and families in Zambia. Smile Squared’s donation will be distributed on a mission trip to the region. Learn more at africanvisionofhope.org.
- Circle of Friends in Action in Tacoma, Wash., focuses on providing education, health, food and nutrition, and empowerment to children in Rubongi Village, Tororo, Uganda. Learn more at cofiakids.org.
- Feed the Children in Oklahoma City has a mission of providing hope and resources for those without life’s essentials. The Smile Squared toothbrushes were distributed to families in need during a community event in Fort Worth, Texas. Learn more at feedthechildren.org.
- The Haiti Orphan Project in St. Louis helps families stay together, preventing “economic orphans” through education, access to health care and job creation. Learn more at haitiorphanproject.org.
- The North Belize Medical Mission, under the leadership of Central Church of Christ in Bryan, Texas, sends teams of volunteers to Belize. These volunteers focus on providing medical and dental care, along with medicine and construction assistance. Learn more at northbelizemedicalmissions.com.
- Smile Train, headquartered in New York City, is the leading largest charity providing corrective surgery and related treatment for children with cleft lips and palates worldwide. Some of Smile Squared’s toothbrushes were distributed during a “Journey of Smiles” trip visit to local in-country Smile Train partners and patients in Haiti. Learn more at smiletrain.org.
About Smile Squared
Smile Squared is a St. Louis-based buy-one, give-one brand. For every toothbrush purchased, Smile Squared donates one to a child in need through its partner nonprofit organizations. Founded in 2011, the company has donated more than 125,000 toothbrushes in all 50 states and in 24 countries. Toothbrushes are sold online and at select retailers nationwide. Smile Squared: We Smile Better Together™. Learn more at smilesquared.com.